This past Saturday was a men’s breakfast meeting at the Rockville campus. If you missed the teaching or were unable to get a copy, you can download it here. powerofprepapr2509 Make sure you check online for details on the next meeting.
Thanks to Jim for covering last week and capturing the great notes below! This coming week we will be discussing days 70-76 (the Gospels) in our schedule.
Below are comments Jim shared from last weeks meeting, a great discussion including challenging questions around contemporary culture(s) and how we as Christians should or should-not adopt (recall this is discussion, not conclusion).
We spent time discussing the book of Daniel, and on being faithful to God, and how we conform to society’s trends/habits with little or no regard to its impact on what God expects.
Quotes by Chuck Swindoll:
- “Belief and Behavior go hand ‘n hand.”
- “We are the only Gospel anyone will ever read.”
Other items discussed:
- Believe in God, never lack daily bread… Live by faith that He will provide.
- Is contemporary dress style, men wearing shirt tail outside pants with sweater or suit coat, lending to other areas of sinful behavior?
- Is it necessary for youth pastors to “dress-down” to lore young people to listen to the Gospel?
- Culture evolves but the Word of God remains the same. How far should spiritual leaders go to attract followers?
The book of Daniel emphasizes the importance of remaining faithful to God, even under difficult circumstances. Why should today’s Christians be any different than Daniel?
I little delayed in providing last weeks update, but we had another great discussion! While the pace is doable, it definitely requires constant attention – but we are getting towards the end. This past Tuesday we discussed days 56-62 of our schedule. This past week some of the notable comments were:
- Even growing up in Christian family, we don’t always have goals set forth. [consider how this relates to your own family!]
- “There is not greater hindrance to the salvation of souls than self-sufficiency”, from Mathew Henry’s Commentary.
- “I continually look at what I am doing to find out what I actually believe.” [wow – consider that your actions tell the real story, so what do your actions tell].
It’s incredible how each week the discussion can lead us to some challenging points. For this coming Tuesday April 21 we plan to discuss days 63-69 which will round out the Old Testament.