May 18, 2009
Ok so we stretched it by a week or so, but this will be the final week.
This has been a big challenge for most of us and if you are like me, you have had to jump over some days to catch up. As we wrap up, would welcome your review and feedback on passages which have stuck with you and how much you were able to accomplish! No doubt this will a positive effect on your walk with the Lord and knowing more of His great word!
April 26, 2009
Thanks to Jim for covering last week and capturing the great notes below! This coming week we will be discussing days 70-76 (the Gospels) in our schedule.
Below are comments Jim shared from last weeks meeting, a great discussion including challenging questions around contemporary culture(s) and how we as Christians should or should-not adopt (recall this is discussion, not conclusion).
We spent time discussing the book of Daniel, and on being faithful to God, and how we conform to society’s trends/habits with little or no regard to its impact on what God expects.
Quotes by Chuck Swindoll:
- “Belief and Behavior go hand ‘n hand.”
- “We are the only Gospel anyone will ever read.”
Other items discussed:
- Believe in God, never lack daily bread… Live by faith that He will provide.
- Is contemporary dress style, men wearing shirt tail outside pants with sweater or suit coat, lending to other areas of sinful behavior?
- Is it necessary for youth pastors to “dress-down” to lore young people to listen to the Gospel?
- Culture evolves but the Word of God remains the same. How far should spiritual leaders go to attract followers?
The book of Daniel emphasizes the importance of remaining faithful to God, even under difficult circumstances. Why should today’s Christians be any different than Daniel?
April 19, 2009
I little delayed in providing last weeks update, but we had another great discussion! While the pace is doable, it definitely requires constant attention – but we are getting towards the end. This past Tuesday we discussed days 56-62 of our schedule. This past week some of the notable comments were:
- Even growing up in Christian family, we don’t always have goals set forth. [consider how this relates to your own family!]
- “There is not greater hindrance to the salvation of souls than self-sufficiency”, from Mathew Henry’s Commentary.
- “I continually look at what I am doing to find out what I actually believe.” [wow – consider that your actions tell the real story, so what do your actions tell].
It’s incredible how each week the discussion can lead us to some challenging points. For this coming Tuesday April 21 we plan to discuss days 63-69 which will round out the Old Testament.
March 31, 2009
This week marked the half way point in our journey! To confirm, this past Monday (March 30) everyone should be reading on day 49 of the reading plan! I know that many (including myself) have some catchup to do – lets commit to get caught up and see if we can pull through on our goal!
Another great day of discussion, some comments
- Amazing how the thoughts and words spoken in the Psalms can so closely match thoughts and feelings we experience today.
- Great discussion about what our happiness should be based in, how is it defined.
Have a great week and give all the glory to God!
March 11, 2009
Another great meeting today – 6 brothers enjoying hot Starbucks and talking about God’s word. It is incredible to hear how God has been impacting folks as they join this journey!
Wanted to share some comments & key scripture from today’s discussions:
- 2 Samuel 19:6 – “You love those who hate you and hate those who love you…” – have you ever done this?
- 1 Sam 16:15 – “Saul’s attendants said to him, ‘See, an evil spirit from God is tormenting you…’ ” – question raised around what was meant by an “evil spirit from God”…
- Sometimes answers to our questions are right in front of us and we simply chose to ignore them… pride
- David & Solomon were not saints, however God held David in higher esteem than He did Solomon, why?
Feel free to add comment about others thoughts from this weeks chapters.
February 24, 2009
This is day 15 in our journey through the Bible in 90 days. So how are you doing?
We had a great group meeting this morning and impressive to see the progress. There was some great feedback on the impact this journey is having! I have to admin – I am behind but am committed to getting caught up. Let’s keep up the progress and if you cannot join us in person, would still love to hear from you.
Please add your comments below.
February 1, 2009
Here is the 90 day plan I am proposing we follow starting Monday Feb 9th. After researching various plans this seemed simple and provides for 2 days to catch up! So comment here online or join us this coming Tuesday to discuss further.
This uses a technology from a company called Scribd which provides for online publishing. You should be able to print this out or save locally as a PDF.